Simple Homemade “Sun-Dried ” Tomatoes
- Firm tomatoes (I prefer to use paste-type tomatoes for this (like Romas), but really, any tomato will work)
- Dried basil or oregano (optional)
- Wash the tomatoes, cut off the tops, and slice them into roughly 1/4″ slices
- Place the tomato slices on your dehydrator trays, and sprinkle with dried oregano or basil (if desired).
- Dry the tomatoes at 140-150 degrees for 8-10, or until they are leathery, yet still pliable.
- Remove the ‘”sun-dried” tomatoes from the trays and store in an air-tight container. Store in the freezer or fridge to maximize shelf life.
- Depending on how much moisture you removed, your tomatoes should last quite a while–especially if you store them in the freezer or fridge.