How to Make Butter
- Mix the starter culture into the cream, allow it to culture at room temperature for 24-48 hours. (If you want sweet cream butter, skip this step.)
- Place the cream in a food processor or blender, and allow it to churn until it “breaks”. (Fat particles separate from the liquid buttermilk)
- Strain off the buttermilk.
- Wash the butter in ice cold water, pressing it together with a wooden spoon to remove buttermilk.
- Rinse, and repeat until the water is no longer cloudy with buttermilk.
- Add salt to taste if desired.
- Wrap tightly in plastic wrap.
- Store in the fridge for several days, or in the freezer for long term storage.