2012… What a year…
I would probably have to say that although I would consider it “good,” this past year will go down in the history books as one of my most challenging ones yet.
A Recap of the Year…
- We found out we were expecting our 2nd child in February. The excitement was followed by three solid months of lovely morning sickness.
- Prairie Girl was potty trained in May– no more washing cloth diapers! (For a little while, anyway.)
- We planted lots of new trees (always a big deal out here on the flat prairie…)
- We experienced one of the worst droughts to hit Wyoming in 100 years, as well as unusually hot and relentless summer temps. Much of our pasture grass never even came out of dormancy. I didn’t mow my back “yard” even one time… 🙁
- Hubby spent a lot of time fighting the devastating wildfires that burned out of control in our corner of the state. (He is a volunteer firefighter.)
- I spent less time on horseback in 2012 than I have in over 13 years, which in turn caused several meltdowns on my part. (Riding is one of the ways I maintain my sanity…)
- We finally remodeled our decrepit chicken coop, which involved tearing down several decades-old layers of siding and replacing it with shiny red sheet metal. It was a massive project.
- I had my worst gardening year to-date.
- Hubby got into tractor pulling and I’m afraid that now he is hooked.
- I finished and published my very first eBook- Your Custom Homestead.
- I learned how to use Pinterest, which has resulted in me pretty much redecorating my entire house. 😉
- We learned how to eat weeds.
- We raised and butchered our own hogs for the first time ever.
- I was introduced to the world of essential oils and I’m officially in love.
- I started writing a monthly column for Hobby Farm Home magazine.
- I got an All-American pressure canner and finally was able to can up my homemade broths and beans (among other things.)
- We were devastated to lose one of our beloved dogs to accidental antifreeze poisoning.
- But, that opened a place in our home and hearts for a new addition– “Roo”– a South African Boerboel (Mastiff)
- Prairie Boy joined our family on October 26th, via a wonderful, natural hospital birth.
2012 was a wonderful year for The Prairie Homestead. In addition to excitement of publishing our very first eBook, the blog received over 1,300,000 pageviews and gained thousands of new subscribers and Facebook followers. All I can say to that is that you guys pretty much rock. 😉
The Most Clicked-On Posts of 2012
I’m looking forward to spending 2013 with ya’ll and finding out what exciting opportunities it holds. Thank you SO very much for making The Prairie Homestead a success– it couldn’t happen without you! Here’s to a brand new year!