I struggle with having clean screens.
Not the window-kind. (I struggle with simply HAVING those… Thanks to a dog who is petrified of thunderstorms…)
But rather the computer and TV variety.
My house is dusty. I think it’s a side affect of living in a windy climate. (And also probably from pretty much NEVER dusting.)
And, living on a “farm” equals lots of flies in the summer. Which equals flies in my house, no matter how many hours I spend with a swatter in my hand.
The worst part about flies? They poop. Oh yes they do. And fly poop annoys me (much more than dust does).
So this is a very round-about way to say my laptop and TV screens are generally filthy and covered in dust and fly poop. Sorry to be so blunt.
I know you can buy the fancy screen cleaners at the store, but who wants to do that when a DIY solution is so incredibly easy (not to mention cheap!)? Here ya go:
Homemade Computer/TV Screen Cleaner
- 1 part plain white vinegar
- 1 part distilled water (make sure you use distilled only!)
- A clean, lint-free cloth. (I like using old, worn-out t-shirts from my rag collection)
Mix the vinegar and water. Store in a labeled container (I use an small canning jar). A spray bottle would also work.
When you are ready to clean your screens, spray a soft, lint-free cloth with the solution, OR dip the cloth into the jar.
DO NOT spray the solution directly on your screen, as it can drip down into places it shouldn’t go.
Gently, wipe the screen with the damp cloth. It may take more than one application, depending on how dirty things are.
Enjoy your shiny clean screen for as long as you can before the flies land on it again or the kiddos attempt more finger art.
A Few Notes:
- A 1/2 cup of vinegar and a 1/2 cup of distilled water is a good amount to start with.
- You can store this as long as you need to.
- Why distilled water? Distilled water is free from minerals which leave smudgy water spots on your screens. If you wash your screens with tap water, you’ll probably end up with a dirtier screen than what you started with.
- I use this on our flat screen TV and my laptop. I’ve had no trouble with it. However, please use it at your own risk with your own equipment.
- If you have a black kitchen appliances (like me), this solution is a great way to shine them up. (Because of our hard water, wiping things down with regular soapy water leaves lots of spots).
Enjoy those sparkly screens! 😉
- 1 part plain white vinegar
- 1 part distilled water
- Clean lint free cloth (I used an old t-shirt from my rag collection)
- Mix vinegar and water
- Store in a labeled container (such as a small canning jar)
- To use: moisten your lint-free cloth with solution
- DO NOT spray directly on your screen, as it can drip into places it shouldn't go
- Use your damp cloth to gently wipe screen and repeat as necessary