How-tos and Tutorials
- How to Sprout Seeds at Home Store-bought sprouts are spendy. These are not.
- How to Harvest & Dry Your Own Herbs Some simple tips from Laurie at Common Sense Homesteading.
- A Canning Tutorial A thorough, easy-to-follow tutorial with lots of pictures.
- How to Use a Pressure Canner Don’t be scared! This 3-part series will show you everything you need to know.
- How to Pressure Can Homemade Stock/Broth No more forgetting to defrost it in time… *cough*
- How to Pressure Can Dry Beans A pantry staple– it’s easier than you think!
- How to Make Sprouted Flour All you need is a dehyrator and a grain mill and you are set!
- How to Make Homemade Sausage Trust me, it’s way easier than you think!
- The EASY Way to Make Pumpkin Puree No more hacking through pumpkin hide with a dull knife… this method rocks!
- How to Use and Eat Lamb’s Quarters Because when life gives you weeds, you should just eat them!
- How to Render Your Own Lard And our missing pig fat mystery…
- How to Render Your Own Beef Tallow It’s useful stuff!
- How to Make Your Own Onion Seasoning Salt Yet another item you can cross off your “to-buy” list!
- Five Ways to Preserve Your Carrot Harvest There is more than one way to preserve a carrot…
Egg & Chicken Tips
- How to Freeze Eggs The surefire, chemical-free way to preserve your bounty of eggs.
- How to Wash Farm Fresh Eggs Or should you? Hear both sides of the debate, along with some tips for scrubbing.
- 30+ Things to Do With Eggshells The mother-of-all eggshell lists.
- How to Dehydrate Eggs (or not) My haphazard adventures into the world of home egg dehydration. Proceed with caution.
- What are Those Spots in my Eggs? Ever found a “meat spot” in your farm-fresh eggs? Here is the scoop.
- How & Why to Feed Eggshells to Your Chickens Believe it or not, this can be controversial…
My Kitchen Tips:
- A Frugal Source for Food-Grade Buckets Don’t pay big $$ for buckets when you might be able to get them free (or really cheap)
- “Cheater” Cheesecloth You’ll never guess what I use for my improvised cheesecloth…
- 16 Ways to Use Your Extra Whey Don’t pout it down the drain! It’s liquid gold.
- Three Frugal Tips for Freshening your Garbage Disposal Dishes aren’t actually fun to do anyway, but a stinky disposal makes it a lot worse!
PAID ENDORSEMENT DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.