Congrats to Nichole H.- the giveaway winner!
As I look outside my window at the several feet of snow covering my yard and pasture, it’s hard to believe that gardening season is right around the corner…
But I know that before long, the snow will have melted into the ground and I’ll be in the thick of garden preparations.
There was recently a lively discussion over on The Prairie Homestead Facebook page where folks were chatting about places to purchase non-GMO seeds. I love that more and more people are becoming aware of the GMO issue, which is why I’m thrilled to introduce the Seeds of the Month company to you today.
I don’t know about you, but I almost always mail-order my seeds– for two reasons:
1. I live 40+ miles from town. Whenever I can cross a stop off of my usually-full errand days, that makes me happy.
2. Most of the seeds available to me locally are non-heirloom varieties.
The Seeds of the Month club makes it easier than ever to have non-GMO seeds delivered right to your mailbox.
Here is how it works:
- You pay $3.09 per month. (Click here to order)
- The first month, you’ll receive 8 packs of seed.
- And then every month after that, you’ll get 4 packs in your mailbox.
- The seeds are all GMO-free, and are open-pollinated, heirloom varieties.
Shipping is free, and a membership also enables you to get 25% of everything in the online store.
If you do the math, that’s less than a dollar per packet. I know I pay considerably more than that for the seeds I usually purchase.
And wouldn’t this be a fun gift idea? Like, say, for Mother’s Day perhaps?
My one concern was the massive difference in gardening zones. I know a lot of you are able to grow more “tropical” things that high-plains prairie-dwellers (like me) cannot.… [Continue Reading]