**Please Note** This post is NOT referring to people who must be on certain diets because of allergies or health problems. I fully acknowledge that is a different issue entirely.
I’ve been noticing an interesting phenomenon lately…
If you want to start a debate online, mention either religion or politics.
But if you want to start an all-out war, start talking about food.
I suppose I understand it to a certain extent…
Food IS important. We ARE indeed what we eat. And in some cases, the proper food CAN mean the difference between life or death for certain folks.
Can I just say I’m growing a wee bit weary of all the different dietary bandwagons?
Vegetarian, vegan, paleo, primal, raw, Weston A. Price, Trim Healthy Mama, and the list goes on. And on. And on…
Most everyone who is a member of those different “camps” is passionately, adamantly convinced that their diet is the ONLY way to eat.
They all contradict each other… So doesn’t that mean somebody, somewhere, has to be “wrong”?
My husband and I often joke that if you look long enough, you’ll find someone that is “against” pretty much every single thing a human can put into their mouth.
Depending on who you talk to:
- Meat is bad.
- Dairy products are bad.
- Eggs are bad.
- Whole grains are bad.
- White flour is bad.
- Actually, all grains are bad.
- And don’t forget the legumes. They’re bad too.
- Potatoes are bad.
- Carbs are bad.
- Cooked food is bad.
- But certain raw vegetables aren’t great for you either.
- Fruit is bad because of the sugar.
- And of course, sugar is bad–even unrefined sugars.
- Fat is bad.
- Vegetables are good, but only if they are uber-organic, non-GMO, and grown in your own backyard– (providing no one has sprayed pesticides within 30 miles of where you live)
- Don’t eat too many nuts because they contain phytic acid (and that’s bad.)
- Water is OK.