Ya’ll, I love my essential oils.
I really do consider them life-changing, and I use them all.the.time in my home.
Being a recovering candle-aholic (well, I still appreciate a good candle on a snowy winter night…), I especially love using my diffusers to spread the benefits of the oils all over my house.
The cool thing about essential oils is, not only do they smell pretty, but they can also have medicinal benefits as well. (Like being anti-bacterial or helping to clear congestion.)
However, if you are just starting out with oils, then purchasing a diffuser right away might not be in your budget. (Although I have this one that Amazon sells and it’s a little workhorse for a reasonable price!)
These five simple room spritzers are a wonderful way to quickly freshen up a room, even if you don’t own a diffuser. Just mix up and spray to your heart’s content!
5 Easy Room Spritzer Recipes
A few guidelines:
- I am a stickler for quality essential oils. The cheapie ones at the health food store just won’t cut it for me. That’s why I use and love doTERRA- you can read more about them here, or find out how to purchase them for yourself.
- These recipes are for small batches. Feel free to double or triple if you find a mix you really like!
- You can use whatever type of water you have available- I just use our plain tap water.
- Not only does the addition of the vanilla extract in some of these recipes make the blend smell fabulous, but the alcohol in the extract actually helps the mixture to not clog up the spray nozzle. (Just make sure you are using the real stuff– the fake “vanilla” isn’t the same. Here is how to make your own vanilla extract.)
- Because some essential oils have the tendency to break down plastic, if I am going to consume a blend, I always, always keep it in a glass container. However, since I won’t be drinking any of these mixes, I don’t have a problem sticking them in a plastic spray bottle if I’m running low on my glass spritzers. However, these 4 oz glass spray bottles are generally my favorite for DIY sprays (like my homemade hand sanitizer, sunburn relief spray, or laundry spot remover!)
- If you don’t have one of the oils called for in a certain recipe, feel free to play around and substitute something else, or leave it out all together.
- Give your spritzers a good shake before you spray to make sure the oils are mixed into the water.
1. Minty Citrus Twist
Combine 4 drops Peppermint essential oil + 4 drops Wild Orange essential oil + 1 Tablespoon real vanilla extract in 8 oz of water.
2. Sweet Lavender
Combine 8 drops Lavender essential oil + 1 Tablespoon real vanilla extract in 8 oz of water.
3. Summer Citrus
Combine 3 drops Wild Orange essential oil + 3 drops Lemon essential oil + 3 drops Lime essential oil + 3 drops Grapefruit essential oil in 8 oz of water.
4. Cozy Holiday
Combine 3 drops Wild Orange essential oil + 3 drops Cassia essential oil + 3 drops Clove essential oil + 1 Tablespoon real vanilla extract in 8 oz of water.
5. Stop and Smell the Flowers
Combine 3 drops Lavender essential oil + 3 drops Geranium essential oil + 2 drops Clary Sage essential oil + 2 drops Grapefruit essential oil in 8 oz of water.
Free Printable Labels!
Here are some labels to use on your spray bottles if you like.
1. Click on the picture to download
2. Save the .PDF file to your computer
3. Print as many copies as you would like! (If the labels are too big for your bottle, you may need to reduce the size before printing.)
This post contains affiliate links.
P.S. Like what you read? Join over 37,000 other homesteaders and get farm-fresh inspiration from The Prairie Homestead delivered straight to your inbox! Sign up Now! (it's quick and easy--plus you'll NEVER get spam from us!)
STANDARD FTC DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation or other types of remuneration for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this blog.